Thursday, October 28, 2010

Classroom Management


          Classroom management is something that can be very difficult for some teachers. I plan on showing my students that I respect them from the first day of class. To do this, we’ll sit down as a class and make a class set of rules and consequences. I will also make my lesson plans to keep them actively mentally engaged while we’re in the classroom. Finally, I will make sure that there is a consistent pattern in my room and that the students know that I am available to talk to before and after class if they need help with something or need an adult to talk to. In doing this, my students will see that I respect them. I will start my classroom off in rows to show that sidebar conversations will not be tolerated. Once the students are aware of what I expect from them, they will be moved into pods. Another tactic is having a bell ringer on the board when students walk in the room so they can get busy with that right away instead of sitting and talking. You will most likely me be adjusting the students schema’s and keeping them actively mentally engaged so this is an example of Constructivist Learning Theory.
            While being a teacher is an authoritative figure, I will act more as their more knowledgeable peer instead of acting like I am better than my students. My students will notice this and in return give me respect. Connecting respect to the learning theories can be done through Behaviorist Learning Theory. The students know that I respect them and they will respect me.
            Another main aspect of classroom management is how the teacher goes about handling situations that present themselves during class. If a student is consistently talking over me and goofing off, I would be aware of what they are doing and go stand by the student. If it turns into an everyday issue, I would talk to the student after class and discuss with them that their actions are not what I expect from my students. We would see if there is something going on that we can change to prevent this problem from continuing to happen. I would never call a student out in front of the class.  If the student is doing these actions to get attention that you are encouraging them. Another reason is it disrupts the rest of the class. How a teacher handles situations in the classroom is an example of Behaviorist Learning Theory. You are showing the students what you expect out of them and how they should be acting. In return they know that there won’t be able problems in the future and that the teacher is not “out to get them”.
            Overall, I feel that making it known that you respect your students and that you’re not out to get them they will show respect back for you. This will make the teachers life and the students life easier because they both are aware of the expectations that they should meet and they are aware of the consequences of their actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment