Monday, September 20, 2010

How would you teach?


My roommate was in my room and I asked her if I could take a few minutes of her time to ask a question. She willing agreed. I asked “How would you teach a second grader how to read?” Her eyes went bug-eyed and responded “ughhh hand them a book?” So, I realized I should narrow the topic. I thought about what I learned in second grade. I then asked “How would you explain the process of photosynthesis?” Once again looked at me as if I had four eyes, said “I don’t know how explain how I would explain that! I’m not an Ed. Major, I can’t do this stuff!”

            I think it’s funny how everyone always says that “teaching is easy” or “gosh, I just wish I could be an Ed. Major/teacher so I didn’t have to do anything!” Yet, when asked how to explain something at a second grade level they’re unable to. I think this helped my roommate to realize that teaching is harder than it seems. She even said to me “wow Car, I never really thought about what you do.” Not going to lie, this made me really happy! J

2 comments:

  1. Carly, I totally agree with you. I think that some people can digest the information and tell you all that they know; however, its harder for them when they actually have to teach what they know. I think they need to be somewhat creative and have different ideas of how they can communicate the information best to students. Some ways don't work. It might take multiple ways. I think this is where the different learning theories fall into place. I think the current ones we have talked about are all very important. I believe that by combining the three a lesson would be easier understood by students then by having them use only one learning theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! People are always telling me that Education is a slacker major, but truly helping kids learn is more complex than people picture. It's also interesting to see the information people around you (and us, too) didn't learn along the way (like photosynthesis). We think because we remember the classroom lecture, we learned it, but it's clear that's not always the case.

    ReplyDelete